Over the past 21 years of the new millennium, jewellery industry has been transformed in terms of transparency and ethical sourcing of diamonds, gems and metals.
Era of social media also played a major role in peaking interest of mass audience to fine and high jewellery. Still, red carpet remained as one of the most sought after displays of high jewellery and award seasons more than ever are getting exposure, thanks to press, social media and bloggers spending hours reviewing and analysing each year’s trends, innovations and creations.
When OVERJEWELS asked me to contribute an article with Red Carpet Jewellery theme, I realised that for the first decade of 21st century, social media wasn’t one of the most important outlets, hence many of the most iconic jewellery looks on red carpet might be well forgotten. Therefore I decided to go back in time and select one look per years since 2000.
It was a hard decision to choose among all the glitz and glamour of red carpet and between many events each year. I did my best to be decisive and choose the most iconic jewellery pieces that ever graced the red carpet in the past 21 years.
For the past 3 years (2019, 2020 & 2021) I had to give in and choose more than one. In saying that there are still many more iconic moments in the 21st century but for now we will focus on the ones I find the most fascinating and iconic from my point of view.
- Oscars 2000: Heather Graham 50-carat diamond briolette choker from Fred Leighton.
- Oscars 2001: Catherine Zeta Jones 50-carat Aquamarine necklace from H. Stern
- Oscars 2002: Nicole Kidman in Bulgari’s 241-carat raw-diamond necklace that she helped design.
- Oscars 2003: Kate Hudson in Fred Leighton pair of earrings with 43-carats of diamonds.
- Oscars 2004: Angelina Jolie in H. Stern 85-carat Athena necklace featuring D-flawless diamonds.
- Oscars 2005: Beyonce in Lorraine Schwartz mesh diamond earrings.
- Oscars 2006: Jennifer Aniston in Bulgari Art Deco necklace set with 137-carats of diamonds.
- Oscars 2007: Jennifer Lopez in 20-carat Lorraine Schwartz gray and champagne diamond earrings with rose-cut diamond drops and matching ring.
- Oscars 2008: Nicole Kidman in L’Wren Scott statement necklace featuring 1,399-carats of diamonds.
- Oscars 2009: Angelina Jolie in Lorraine Schwartz 115-carat Colombian emerald earrings and matching ring.
- Oscars 2010: Julianne Moore in Bulgari 115-carat Colombian emerald drop earrings.
- Oscars 2011: Nicole Kidman in Fred Leighton 150-carat diamond necklace.
- Cannes 2012: Eva Herzigova in Chopard’s The Marilyn Monroe Tribute Set, 18-carat white gold necklace set with 151.64-carats of beads diamonds, 30.72-carats of heart shaped diamonds and 18.53-carats of diamonds along with matching earrings, which are also set with brilliants, briolettes and heart-shaped diamonds. The impressive set uses over 210-carats in diamonds.
- Oscars2013: Anne Hathaway in Tiffany & Co. necklace from 2013 Blue Book Collection.
- Golden Globes 2014: Amy Adams in 30-carat diamond necklace by Lorraine Schwartz.
- Oscars 2015: Margot Robbie in Van Cleef & Arpels iconic zip necklace, it features 150 diamonds and 300 sapphires set in 18kt gold. Like all of Van Cleef’s Zip jewels it is convertible and can be worn as a bracelet. It took master craftsmen 600 hours to create this masterpiece.
- Cannes 2016: Julia Roberts in Chopard necklace from the Red Carpet Collection set with a 52.76-carat pear-shaped emerald.
- Emmys 2017: Jane Fonda in Gismondi 1754 Rugiada suite of matching necklace, earrings and ring totalling over 100-carats of diamonds and 100-carats of emeralds.
- Grammys 2018: Beyonce in Lorraine Schwartz earrings in titanium and over 70-carats of diamonds, with large diamonds totaling 35-carats in the center.
- Oscars 2019: Lady Gaga in Tiffany & Co. necklace set with the legendary Tiffany Diamond, 128.54-carat fancy yellow cushion-cut diamond.
- Met Gala 2019: Jennifer Lopez in Harry Winston "Purple Dragon Necklace," 65.32-carat cushion-cut purple sapphire, set in a cluster of round brilliant, pear- and marquise-shaped diamonds, and set on a diamond necklace in platinum with total of 129.48- carats.
- Cannes 2019: Sonam Kapoor in Chopad’s multi-tiered emerald and diamond necklace.
- Grammys 2020: Ariana Grande in Lorraine Schwartz 64-carat pear-shaped emerald earrings with matching necklace.
- Golden Globes 2020: Beyonce in Lorraine Schwartz 250-carats diamond earrings
- Cannes 2021: Nour Arida in Boucheron handmade ‘Cape de Lumiere’ featuring a a delicate web of gold with diamonds and citrine, this exceptional piece required 925 hours of handwork to complete.
- Cannes 2021: Bella Hadid in Schiaparelli Haute Couture 21/22 designed by Daniel Roseberry, a gilded brass necklace un the shape of trompel/oeil lungs adorned by rhinestones, along with Chopard ruby earrings and matching ring.
- Venice Film Festival 2021: Zendaya in Bulgari’s The Magnifica Serpenti Hypnotic Emerald necklace featuring the iconic Serpenti wrapped around a 93-carat Colombian emerald cabochon.
- Met Gala 2021: Gigi Hadid in Jacob & Co. 117-carat diamond necklace with 25 round-brilliant diamond including a 54-carat center stone and pair of diamond studs totalling 10-carats.